Friday, November 5, 2010

review: merchant of venice

Tonight I went to see the Wesley Institute's second year drama students' production of The Merchant of Venice.  The opening scene was utterly appalling and grossly overacted, but thankfully it didn't set the scene for the rest of the show, which was actually highly entertaining.  Well done might be pushing it a bit far, but clever, amusing or cheerfully diverting could all apply.

It was remarkably fast-paced for Shakespeare -- it clocked in at under two hours, without an intermission.  Clearly there had been cuts, but I didn't know the play well enough to know where they were.  Portia had her speech, which was the only part I knew reasonably well, having memorized it for a freshman theatre class in high school.  I'd seen it on stage once before, but found it much easier to understand this time -- whether because I was younger when I first saw it or because this production was more clear is a bit up for grabs.  All in all, it worked.

The set was simple and included a large sheet that was used effectively in various ways.  The theatre itself was an unimpressive black box of a far-from packed audience, but those who were there were alert and appreciative.

The cast was comprised of nine students, seven girls and two guys, which meant that a couple of the girls had to step up and play guys.  One in particular did a fantastic job, and overall the cast worked well together.  The leads were probably the stronger actors overall, though there were a couple supporting actors who also really shone.  I'd give you their names and roles, but they charge $2 for programs here and, as I'm rather used to getting programs for free, I'm afraid I must admit I forwent one.  I hope you'll manage to muddle through without.

A particular highlight of the show was the music used throughout, mostly at scene changes, but also as part of the show.  The songs were upbeat and fun and really enhanced the overall atmosphere.  Portia's suitors were depicted as game show contestants in an engaging spoof-like vibe and the climactic courtroom scene with Shylock preparing to exact his pound of flesh was choreographed amazingly to Bohemian Rhapsody.

The tech aspects all came together very well, from lighting and sound to set design and direction.  Overall, it made for a fun night out and I recommend it if you've got the time to see it before it closes tomorrow (Saturday, November 6).

And don't worry if you're late.  You won't miss much in the beginning.

1 comment:

Ms. Rachel Aubrey said...

I'm always glad to read theatre reviews. Two dollars for a program seems a tad much, considering how much it likely costs to print them. Do they charge that much for programs everywhere?