Thursday, November 4, 2010

quicko: national what?

Just before the Melbourne Cup the other day they played the Australian national anthem.  After a quick false start ("No, Kim, that is not our national anthem.  That is a pop song."), I waited until I was pretty sure I was on the money.

"Is that your national anthem?" I asked a nearby Australian, and, upon receiving authentic affirmation, was halfway to my feet before they figured out what I was doing.

"Don't you stand up?" I asked.

The Australians laughed politely and explained that, no, really, they didn't.  I could if I wanted to, but there was no need.

I'm not sure if it would have been different if we'd been present in person.  Possibly we would have stood?  But I'm just as inclined to think quite possibly not.

3 comments:

Sam said...

No we don't stand! I wish we did in a way - it's cool that you guys do! We used to stand at school when we sang the school song however!

Unknown said...

Wrong.

If it's being played where you are, then you definitely stand up. If it's on TV it's a bit different, although I usually feel weird sitting while it's playing on TV.

But if you're there live, you stand, and possibly sing too, although in certain circles it's considered un-Australian to know the words.

Laetitia :-) said...

Mind you, we don't get indoctrinated, sorry - trained, to stand, adore the flag and sing the anthem, every time it's seen or heard, from the time we're born. Maybe that has something to do with it.