Friday, November 12, 2010

quicko: all sugared up

This has got to be a first, but it's actually happening:  I, an American, have been given more sugar than I actually need in Australia.

Incredible, I know.  Hold on to your horses and I'll explain what happens.

It's all about the hot chocolate.  Now, the hot chocolate is served in a thimble and is negligibly lukewarm, but, bless them, they give me two (two!) servings of sugar to go with it.  When there's already a quarter inch of undissolved sugar at the bottom of my thimble to begin with!

It's the little things that mean so much, though.  Forget the big ones (who really cares if there's enough for a mouthful or not?), but focus on the thoughtful ones.  That extra bit of sugar they could have given to someone desperately trying to stretch two servings of sugar through four cups of their pot of tea they did not give to that person, but to me, with my swallow of chocolate.  Aren't you touched?  I know I am.

But what did I do with it, that thoughtfully given sweet sugar?  I left it on my saucer, ungrateful American that I am.

No comments: