Sunday, November 28, 2010

quicko: the $3 rule in action

I have taken a picture of this mango not because it is the most beautiful of mangoes but because it is the most beautiful of mango prices.  (Please note the sarcasm.)  How much should a mango cost?  I don't know.  I have this vague idea that 49 cents is about right.  How much did this mango cost?  $3.  $3 is not about right.  What is even more not right is that it was supposed to be $2.50.  $2.50 is, of course, very different from $3.  This is the price it was advertised at.  To be more specific, it was advertised as "2 for $5," which I very cleverly worked out to be $2.50.  However, realizing that evil stores like to advertise in less than ethical ways, I figured the individual price would be higher.  So I read the entire label on the sign very carefully and it clearly stated they were $2.50 each.  Utterly no mention of any higher price for individual mangoes.  So, bearing in mind other less than ethical maneuvers favored by such establishments, I figured it was a marketing ploy designed to get you to buy two just for kicks and giggles when, really, you probably only wanted one.  Savvy shopper in action, right?

Wrong.  At the check out the unfriendly man rang it up as $3.  I asked him if it wasn't $2.50?  He explained, painstakingly, as if I were the one not speaking his language, that it was only if you bought 2.  $2.50 each, you know, 5 divided by 2.  I was afraid he was going to keep explaining and the line was getting longer, so I decided to cut my mango losses and sulk my way home, fuming under my breath that nothing in this country ever costs less than $3.  Ever.  I should have known better than to think I could get a mango for $2.50 -- it's under the cut off and utterly unallowed.

3 comments:

Ben McLaughlin said...

It's a sick world.

Laetitia :-) said...

Was it a local grocer as opposed to a Woolies or a Coles? You could always have them taken to task for false advertising if there was no "individual price = $3" on the sign. If it was a Woolies or a Coles using a scanner you can get it for free under their scanner policy where if anything scans at a price higher than that on the sign you get it for free.

Personally, I would have said that I no longer wanted it and have left if to the checkout operator to place back on the shelf.

Apart from that, you're living in the wrong state. Come to Qld where we're currently getting them at 2 for $4 at independent grocers and similar prices in nearby Woolies and Coles who have to compete. And this is a 'bad' year - i.e. low fruit set year.

Mom said...

I saw them today at Kroger's for 99 cents apiece. Come home and get your mangoes at a reasonable price.