Saturday, November 13, 2010

quicko: turkish delight



I have a whole new respect for Edmund.  I have faced temptation and temptation has won.  You'd succumb, too, if it happened to you.  Have you had Turkish Delight?  That was just the thing -- I hadn't before I moved to England.  Sure I'd read about it in Narnia (please tell me you get the reference now ...), but I honestly thought it was some sort of made up delicacy for the novel.  Though when I imagined it, it was nothing like the real substance.  (Yes, I do think "substance" is the best word in that sentence.)  The real Turkish Delight is gooey and chewy and covered in powdered sugar.  (I can't be sure, but I think I'd been envisioning chocolate.   Covering something crunchier or cake-ier or something.  Maybe like those no-bake cookies that are mostly chocolate with a few oats scattered in for good measure.  Yes!  I think that was what I assumed it was!)  Anyway, Turkish Delight is, though not an everyday occurrence, certainly known in Australia.  As you can see, it emerged at work today and, well, de-merged shortly thereafter.

1 comment:

Laetitia :-) said...

You can also get "Fry's Turkish Delight" (although I think Cadbury's own Fry's now) which is the same 'substance' without the powdered sugar but instead coated in chocolate in the confectionery section of supermarkets. So maybe you weren't completely off when you thought of a chocolate covered treat (even if that's not how the original inventers intended it). :-)