Sunday, November 28, 2010

quicko: pies

Pies are a huge deal in Australia, but they're not what you're thinking of.  They're meals.

I know you can technically make a meal out of pumpkin, pecan and apple pie, but the Australian pies are what they call "savory" -- i.e., not sweet.  Think of a chicken pot pie and you're on the right track.

They're a quintessential Australian dish and there are shops that sell them all over the place -- often, the only places open late at night.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan.  Seeing as I don't really like sweet pies, I was already going to be a tough sell to begin with.  I've never liked the crust (though I've started to tolerate it in recent years), for instance.  But they're just so big and so heavy and so filling.  They feel like the sort of food you'd need if you were outside rock climbing or building a house all day, not drifting around classrooms pointing out that, in fact, that relative clause was defining and so really didn't need those commas.  I just don't have the appetite for them.

But more than that, I just don't find them appetizing.  I'll eat the mini versions if pressed at an Australia Day celebration, but I could hardly claim to enjoy them.

2 comments:

Laetitia :-) said...

Of course, Aussies have the inverse problem when going to the UK from where we got savoury pies but where a "mince pie" is sweet!

When I used to eat them, I'd eat them without the top crust. I'd eat the softer pasty on the underside of the top crust but I discarded the flaky bit. Now I don't eat meat pies so it's all a moot point.

Ben McLaughlin said...

'so big and so heavy and so filling'

Can you not see that this is what makes it awesome?