Monday, November 8, 2010

quicko: chocolate for children



It seems I led a deprived childhood and did not even know it.  Miserable, isn't it?  Until I traveled to Germany as a teenager, I had never encountered Nutella, and until I traveled to the international house of Rix (in, granted, Massachusetts, but home to those from Italy, Australia and India, as well as America) as a college grad I had never encountered Milo.  At the time I assumed Milo had come from India, but learned later that  all Australian children of my generation grew up knowing both Nutella and Milo.  To be sure, it may have been a special treat, but it was widely known.  My flatmate was shocked to learn that, as an American, I'd never grown up with any kind of chocolate spread.  I explained that we had marshmallow spread, which is an entity unto itself, but that that particular delight had hitherto escaped me.

Thank goodness I'm making up for lost time.

3 comments:

redhedqd said...

Just so you know, they do have Nutella in America and you don't have to go to Jungle Jim's to get it. Usually I see it at Kroger near the PB&J

KIM said...

Yeah, I did know that -- but wouldn't you agree that it's a more recent thing in America, and not a staple of our elementary school years?

Laetitia :-) said...

I think Nutella arrived in Australia in the early to mid 80s; at least that's when I remember seeing it first.

And sadly, I can no longer have Milo as it contains dairy. :-( Instead I use Aktavite. And there is a similar dairy free chocolate spread (in the "health food" section of places like Coles) that also doesn't contain nuts.