Monday, August 2, 2010

quicko: mccafe

Add ImageMcDonalds wasn't doing all that great in Australia because, to quote my non-racist-but-not-yet-PC friend, Australians didn't want to go to a place for fat people. So, they rebranded focusing on the healthier components of their menu and -- drumroll -- McCafe. Coffee is huge in Australia (though better, I'm told, in Melbourne than Sydney), and evidently, according to coffee drinkers, has been known to produce decent cups of coffee. It sells a cafe equivalent range of cheesecakes, muffins, pastries, etc. It's decent -- but I'd still like to point out I go significantly less often than my Australian friends ...!

6 comments:

sheena said...

Kim! You don't like cheese? That sort of changes everything. I adore Oz so far, and am going to look you up when I make it towards Sydney. Please know you have a place to stay when you are in Melbourne, and I will do my best to show you our best coffee, if you're into that sort of thing. Does it compare to McCafe? You can be the judge. High fives and hugs!

KIM said...

sheena!! i'm so happy you visited my blog!! and i must mention again how much i loved yours!! it'd be great to see you in sydney -- you're certainly welcome with me anytime, too!! i don't drink coffee, but i can certainly sample hot chocolates :) see you (hopefully maybe really!) soon! :)

Laetitia :-) said...

Apparently Starbucks didn't take off here the way it did in the USA because Australians are already used to great coffee so it wasn't the big deal it had been over there. Consequently Starbucks closed quite a lot of stores. At least they do a decent hot chocolate.

KIM said...

Really? I'm actually not crazy about their hot chocolate ... I will say, though, that they're the only place I've found in Sydney that actually has an iced chai latte on the menu and it's very good.

Laetitia :-) said...

My perspective may be different - I don't eat / drink dairy (it gives me acne). The first time I went into Starbucks I ordered a hot chocolate done on soy. They thought to ask if I had a problem with dairy and recommended a different variety from the one I had ordered as the one I had ordered had dairy in the chocolate. So I was impressed by that thoughtfulness.

I'm not saying their HC is the best but it is decent. I was less impressed with the mint HC I ordered from a Max Brenner's in Melbourne - couldn't taste the mint. This is a bad thing for a mintaholic.

KIM said...

Oh, try the Sydney Max Brenner mint!! :)