Thursday, August 5, 2010

quicko: going to the theatre

A few notes on theatrical experiences in Oz:

--they spell it "theatre."
--you can take "lollies" (i.e., candy), soda, ice cream treats, etc. into the theatre. This one gets me every time, but it's true.
--this note is particularly relevant to West Side Story (which I saw tonoight (no, not a typo ... think about it ... if you know the show ...)): there was a very poignant moment when the Sharks (the Puerto Rican gang) exit the stage whistling "My Country 'Tis of Thee" at the Jets (the WASP-type gang), but the Australians didn't get it because they don't know "My Country 'Tis of Thee." Thank goodness I was there.
--you have to pay for programs.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'll admit I had to go look "My Country 'tis of Thee" on wikipedia. Looking at the music on the site, Australian audiences would probably have been wondering why the Puerto Ricans were whistling the English national anthem "God Save the Queen".

Seriously? You put on a whole war to chuck the Brits out, then write a patriotic song to the tune of God Save The Queen?

Are there any other musicals, or other aspects of life, where not knowing "My Country 'Tis Of Thee" would be very poignant? Or particularly relevant? And why would it be insulting to wasps?

KIM said...

Hey, at least we got them out ...! :)

I don't know of any other musicals that feature "My Country 'Tis of Thee" -- anything patriotic in the American sense though could be poignant and relevant.

The song isn't at all insulting to WASPs -- it was the way it was used in the show. It was a "you-say-your-country's-supposed-to-be-welcoming-and-inviting-of-immigrants-and-yet-you-treat-us-terribly-but-LOOK!-we're-singing-"your"-patriotic-song-because-we're-more-in-tune-with-what-"your"-country-stands-for-than-you-are" moment.

Mom said...

Might it be helpful to mention that WASPS are different from wasps?