Friday, August 27, 2010

meme: ten things that make me happy (in australia)

So, it seems we have a little break from your regularly scheduled program, and it's all Ben's fault. He has tagged me for a meme, which is something I know nothing about, but which strikes me as a sort of cyber chain letter that's less likely than most to deposit thousands of dollars in an African bank account. I'm evidently supposed to write you gorgeous readers a list of ten things that make me happy. Seeing as this is an Australian focused (if not spelled!) blog, though, I'll put an Australian spin on things. Ahem:

10. Chaos Cafe in Neutral Bay. Hideous location (Woolies parking lot ...), but great food and, even more importantly, bright colors everywhere! Plus, they gave me my first ever spider! (If by "gave" you mean "sold for an exorbitant price.")

9. Knowing that there's always something to do -- markets, festivals, camel rides, you name it.

8. The scenery. The 12 Apostles and the Great Barrier What's-it-called spring to mind.

7. Surfing! Theoretically you can do it anywhere there's waves, but it just is quintessentially Australian to me. Oh, and I suppose you might also count the surfers ...

6. The proximity to the South Pacific. I just can't think of anything more amazingly exotic sounding, which I'm pretty sure I picked up from Pippi Longstocking.


5. Fancy dress (i.e., what we call "costume") parties! So many cool themes! Right now, I'm particularly looking forward to Matty's Alice in Wonderland 30th/housewarming! (I'm going as Alice, in case you were wondering. Would love to be a Red Queen someday, but already have the right dress for Alice.) The picture is from our classic tiger party (obviously).

4. The beaches, especially Sydney's Northern Beaches. Favorites include the ABC of Avalon, Bilgola and Curly! (Pictured in alphabetical order.)

3. The Australian accent!! I didn't move to another continent for nothing!!

2. San Churros. I was thinking of going Max Brenner, but really, San Churros has taken over and is playing first fiddle these day -- have you had their churros?? Their hot and cold chocolate? Their Azteca hot chocolate?

1. Could I really say anything here besides Kirribilli? With it, I'll include the harbour, the bridge, the Opera House and my church. And particularly our Easter sunrise service under the bridge!


Now, TAG! You're it -- Garry, Sam and Holly!! Post ten things that make you happy -- or run for your lives!!

2 comments:

San Churro said...

Hey there Kirribilli Kim. This is San Churro writing to thank you for your really nice comments about us. Just by way of thank you I'd love to send you some vouchers for one of our stores. If you just call our head office and ask for Katrina and say it's Kirribilli Kim, she'll grab you details and send something out. Thanks again. San Churro

KIM said...

Hey San Churro! Thanks so much!! I'm overseas until the middle of September, but I'll be in touch when I get back -- thanks again!!