Sunday, August 29, 2010

quicko: american accents

At the moment, I'm home in America for a few weeks.*  And, gosh, someone forgot to tell me they have accents here!

Growing up and even the first couple times I ventured abroad I of course recognized other accents ("British" or "non-native speaker"), but remained convinced that Americans didn't actually have one. Now, I'm still convinced I don't have one, but the same cannot be said for many of my Midwestern neighbors. I won't say it's exactly a slap in the face to listen to, but I have been wondering about offering on-the-spot elocution lessons. I'm pretty darn good at on-the-spot grammar lessons ("could have seen" not "could have saw"!!), so perhaps it is time to branch out.

And to think, this coming from the girl who two years ago couldn't spot a Hoosier at a party and assumed said Hoosier was Australian!

*Actually, I've been here about a week now.  I was just a little too organized before I left and had blogs already lined up.  Apologies if the upcoming chronology gets a little wacky.  Think of it as 4-D fun!

1 comment:

Sam said...

Ha ha! I know exactly what you mean! Whenever I see a documentary or some actor does a voice over and they have an Australian accent my immediate reaction is always - "Oh this voice over has no accent!" as opposed to an American accent I suppose!

I haven't made it to the festival as yet but will see if I can make my way there later in the week.

We had test day today and it was remarkably smooth (I only have 8 students! phew!) but I'm bracing myself for the wailing and weeping come Wednesday...*sigh*

Hope you are well Kimmy and know that Sydney misses you!