Saturday, March 31, 2012

quicko: ginger beer and other matters

It seems I've never mentioned ginger beer, which, in over 3 years blogging, is clearly a terrible oversight.  Ginger beer is much loved in Australia, and it is pretty delicious.  I think possibly I would have assumed it was fictional (butterbeer is, isn't it?) had I read about it in, say, Lord of the Rings, much as I did with Turkish delight in The Chronicles of Narnia, but it turns out it's not.  It's a carbonated (non-alcoholic) beverage along the lines of root beer, only ginger flavored.  I don't know how to really describe tastes in words (see pathetic attempts at A.1. sauce), but yeah.  You should try it.

There's also the thickshake.  I could have sworn I mentioned it before, but possibly all I said was that milkshakes here aren't the same.  If you want an American milkshake in Australia you've got to call it a thickshake ("milkshakes" are more or less chocolate milk) ... and say a quick prayer to go with it.

And then, back on that ginger note, have I also really gone 3 years without mentioning that "ginger" is Australian (and British) for redhead?  I thought I surely must have, but blogger's search option begs to differ.  Possibly it's playing a joke on me, but I didn't think it had that big a sense of humor.  Anyway, "ginger" means red hair -- something else that stumped me throughout years of British literature.  I think I thought it was blonde ... or sunkissed ... or just read right over and never paid any attention, then wondered why I had trouble keeping track of that auburn-haired character who I could have sworn died two chapters back ...

3 comments:

Mom said...

How does ginger beer compare to ginger ale?
You did mention ginger for redheads in a previous blog awhile ago.

Daily said...

Yes, ginger is for red hair in Australia and the UK, although it seems more popular to have red hair in Australia than what it is in the UK (almost an insult to call someone a ginger in the UK).

Sus5an said...

People use the term "ginger" in the U.S. too...