Tuesday, March 13, 2012

quicko: customer service

Let me give you an example of how good American customer service is.

I was at the LA airport the other day and feeling a bit peckish so I asked a girl at a burger joint there how much the cookies (about three times the size of any I've ever seen in Australia, where they'd be priced about $3 regardless) were.

"Too much," she told me.

"How much is too much?" I asked.

"$2.35," she said.  "Plus they don't taste that good.  If you want something sweet, I'd go to the coffee place next door, their stuff is way better."

So I went next door and got a scone.  As I sat there eating it a guy came by mopping the floor.  He stopped by me and I thought he was going to ask me to move aside so he could mop.  He wasn't, though.  I had to ask him to repeat himself to make sure I had heard correctly.

"Would you like a cup of water?" was what he was actually saying.  "I know those scones are a bit dry."

And he brought me a glass of water.

And every other person I met working in restaurants smiled at me and treated me like, gosh, I don't know, a customer?

I love America.

1 comment:

Mom said...

That last sentence made my heart happy.