Friday, March 9, 2012

quicko: waratahs

Do you know what a waratah is?  Don't worry, neither does spellcheck.

There's quite a famous sports team around here called the Waratahs (I think they play rugby, but I'm perpetually forgetting if it's union or league, and getting it wrong is generally only vaguely less than a capital offense), so I took it to be some sort of ferocious animal, roughly along the lines of a mythical cheetah.  I'm not quite sure where I got that from, aside from the last three letters.  But vicious, mythical cheetahs waratahs were in my mind.

Until I asked a Waratahs supporter precisely what a waratah was, recognizing that possibly it wasn't a cheetah, but thinking certainly then along the lines of a puma or bobcat and, on the off chance, another name for an eagle.

Imagine then my surprise to be told, in utter disgust I didn't know this previously, "the state flower of the state you've been living in the past four years!"

I've enclosed a picture here.  It looks a bit ferocious in the middle, hey?


2 comments:

Laetitia :-) said...

NSW Union team. Funny to name a men's sports team after a flower but there you go. :-)

Somehow I have trouble imagining any Qld men's sports teams being named The Orchids (our flower is the Cooktown orchid) - women's team, yes; men's team, no.

Ben McLaughlin said...

I love Waratah's. When you see them on top of that insanely tall stem, they are pretty impressive.

Does seem odd to name a male footy team (Union, by the way. tsk tsk)after a flower though. What's next, the Pansies?