Thursday, March 22, 2012

quicko: A1

A1 is an absolute (absolute) American staple.  Like right up there with peanut butter and ketchup.  Every household has a jar of A1, and every restaurant stocks it in epic proportions.  Australians, though, have never heard of it.  It's hard to explain.  The closest I can say is it's kind of like Australian brown sauce, but way better.  A little thinner, a little tangy-ier, a little sweeter, a little zestier, a lot better ... It's just a given where steaks are concerned, and I've wished for it every single steak I've had in Australia.  Until now!  I finally have my own A1 ("A-one" not "Al" sauce, as my high school friend famously grew up thinking it was called) that I will share -- in small quantities -- with select friends who happen to be with me when we're having steak.  The rest of you riffraff can find your own!

1 comment:

TheYvetteRene said...

Where did you find it???