Monday, March 12, 2012

quicko: differences

I like to think I've come to a point now where I'm reasonably able to take a step back from both American and Australian cultures and pick elements of both that I like and both that I dislike.  I've never been known as the most unbiased of individuals, though, so here's my very subjective opinion on various matters:

--I prefer the Australian system of quoting prices with tax included.  It is a pain to go back to having to add it in.
--I also think they're really on to something with the whole dollar coin and no penny.  Makes way more sense.
--However, Americans charge way less tax, which is of course highly preferable.
--Tipping.  Okay, Australians, you win.  I'm with you.  I think waiters and waitresses should be paid decently ($14 an hour to start!  Man, you do pay well!).  However, Australians, I am also convinced that you must suck it up and ACTUALLY TIP (15%!) when you are in America!
--American customer service (airlines, particularly United, excepted) is way better in general.
--American accents really do exist.  And they really can be egregious.
--Australian food courts are much healthier -- more sushi, salads, juices, multi-cultural cusine; less McDonalds, Wendy's, Arby's (delicious though it is!) and greasy such places.
--Australian portion sizes really are healthier.  Though American ones definitely give you your money's worth, which is far more than I can say for Australian ones.
--The on/off switches Australians have on their "power points" (aka outlets) I'm undecided about.  They do seem potentially safer, yet they're a bit of a pain.  Hmmm.
--The system of labeling floors for elevators is odd in Australia (and Europe).  The American way (starting with, are you sitting down?, the number 1) makes way more sense.
--The Australian (and European) system of dates going dd-mm-yyyy does actually make more sense.
--But ... I don't care how much sense Metric makes, I'm an Imperial girl all the way.  5,280 feet in a mile, 1,760 yards in a mile, 8 ounces in a cup, 2 cups in a pint, 2 pints in a quart, 4 quarts in a gallon.  0 degrees is REALLY cold, 100 is really hot, 32 is freezing, 212 is boiling, 98.6 is normal for a person, what could be simpler?  Honestly!

No comments: