Sunday, March 18, 2012

quicko: tea time




American waitresses don't know what to do when you ask for tea.  Because they're unsure of what you're looking for, they bring you everything they think you could possibly need (except water that has boiled ... generally it's quite hot, but rarely actually close to having boiled):  a huge assortment of tea bags, some half and half or cream (or milk, if you actually thought to ask for it), possibly a lemon slice or two, possibly honey, and a spoon.  There's usually sugar (and Equal and that other thing in the pink packet) already on the table.  It's usually a pretty horrible cup of tea, but, bless them, they're trying awfully hard.  Here's my cousin Lindsey and I enjoying our cuppas together.

1 comment:

Laetitia :-) said...

I do remember asking for a cup of tea in a restaurant, being given a pot of black tea (I think they at least understood the boiled water principle) and having to ask for milk. The waitress gave me a blank look then said, "You mean, like a creamer?" "Um, no. I mean milk." It took a little while (probably for the kitchen staff to understand the request) but I did get a little pot of milk.