Friday, December 24, 2010

quicko: 'twas the night before christmas

... and Kim suddenly decided to share all the rest of her Christmas thoughts before it was too late!

--There have been, contrary to previous posts, some signs of festive cheer around town.  For example, there have been buskers in the train station most days over the last week or two.  Christmas music has also been playing in stores for ages.

--Christmas music includes all the same snowy sorts of wonders as it does back home -- ones about jingling bells and sleigh rides and bedecked out halls, etc.  No one seems to be particularly familiar with the movie White Christmas, though.

--It's a Wonderful Life is known here.  In fact, my Australian friends insisted I watch it with them.  The biggest question:  what does "hot dog!" mean as an exclamation?  (Particularly as George says it at a time where an "oh drat!" seems more appropriate?  I fear I failed in my American duties.)

--I'm wearing shorts and a t-shirt today.  Today is Christmas Eve.

--Oddly enough, while I usually wear a little black dress on Christmas, I've got a long blue one for this year.  Note the irony:  my dress is longer in the warmer environment.  Very strange fluke.

--And finally, it doesn't feel like Christmas Eve really at all.  There's hardly any of that "oh gosh!  hello!  and do have a very merry Christmas!" feeling about on the streets.

--However, we do have a Christmas Eve candlelight service.  Thankfully the most important things are the same everywhere.

The joy of the birth of our Savio(u)r to you tonight and always!

No comments: