Tuesday, December 28, 2010

quicko: closed

Christmas Day I can understand.  Boxing Day I can understand.  Even the 27th as a public holiday makes a bit of sense.  But the day after the day after the day after Christmas??  Really??  How do they get away with that?

Perhaps I should back up.   I'm talking about the post office.  Not the restaurants or department stores or retail outlets or any other such luxuries, but the post office.  My little Australian calendar informs me that today is the "Boxing Day Public Holiday (except Qld, NSW)."  I can only imagine that the post offices are closed nation-wide, despite the fact I went to a post office demonstrably in NSW.  Okay, the concept is nice -- "lose" a public holiday on a weekend, make it up later -- but really!  Where do you draw the line?  And how does a governmental institution like a post office get off being closed 4 days straight with no one except tourists batting an eye?

I'd hate to think what the banks have thought to done.  Presumably they'll be open before Easter.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Be careful what you wish for. Easter is going to be a complete debacle this year as Resurrection Sunday falls on ANZAC Day. We won't know whether we're remembering fallen soldiers or risen messaiahs. I suspect we'll have to close for at least a week to get over it all.