Friday, December 24, 2010

quicko: "candles" and christmas eve

So we've known Australians are a bit on the casual side, but we didn't know they use glowsticks instead of candles for the Christmas Eve service.  The rest of the service was great and normal and joyful and all that, except I can't entirely vouch for the first 20 minutes because I was spending the time staring into a stream of cold water in the bathroom after my glowstick broke and squirt me in the eye.  It turns out they're probably reasonably harmless (google when I got home), but I didn't know that at the time.  Thankfully I was with my friend who's a nurse and also managed to reach my optometrist friend on the phone.  They both concurred lots of water was a good idea, so that's what I found.  I got a little nervous when I could see rainbows around lights that other people couldn't, but by the end of the service, things were pretty much back to normal.  Except that they still weren't using candles.

No comments: