Friday, January 15, 2010

quicko: how americans give directions

I didn't even know there was a difference here. It wasn't until I was on the phone with a friend trying to pinpoint where she was that I realized I was distressing her by using what I'd have considered, if anything, to be "boy" directions: I asked if she was north or south of Town Hall. Turns out the Aussie way is to refer to the "water" (i.e., harbor) side if you mean north, and otherwise if you mean south. To get the side of George Street, you should use the "Woolworth's side" or the "Town Hall side" depending if you mean east or west. And here I thought I was all on the ball, knowing my directions in the CBD. Never mind.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty much a human compass so I use cardinal directions too and it drives people nuts!
~Gina