Sunday, January 17, 2010

quicko: balancing act


I know I've touched on this before, but if you thought Americans were bad at balancing checkbooks -- phew, you should meet the Australians! They haven't got a clue what it even means. If asked, they get very hazy expressions on their faces that clearly indicate they vaguely remember once hearing a similar collocation in a movie eons ago, but have not yet placed either the movie or the meaning of the phrase. A few minutes later you'll give up in despair. "Never mind," you'll say. "It's an American thing."

3 comments:

Unknown said...

A cheque book (note spelling)? I think my grandad had one of those.

KIM said...

Yes, stick with the times, it's with a "ck" now ...

(Sigh. Yes, I know you lot spell it like that. Have you noticed the rest of the spelling on this blog is American, too? As for age, we like to keep a paper trail and double check banks. Besides, it's more up-to-the-second accurate, at least the way I use them in America. But thanks anyway.)

Anonymous said...

Kim, I've never balanced my checkbook as I've had online banking available to me since 2001. I do write checks though. I write about 12 a year for my rent.
As for bank accuracy, I check my account every day while transactions are fresh in my head. Did I spend 12.95 at the grocery? Why yes... yes I did. Also, it's a great way to keep track of the husbands diet!
~Gina