Wednesday, January 18, 2012

quicko: a very australian week





It's been a very Australian week so far.

On Sunday, I drove on the left.  I mean, I never drive any other way here, but it was only the second time in four years I've been able to manage to persuade someone to let me drive their car.  It was really pretty exciting!  I didn't really go much farther than around the block a few times, but it was great to be in the driver's seat again!

On Monday, I bought my first pair of Havianas, pictured above.  Aren't they adorable?  I know.  I've always heard Australians talk about them and had never heard of them before I came here, but they are really fabulous.  They're very cushy yet sturdy and pretty flip flops and I'm already quite smitten with my pair.

On Monday, I also rode on the koala-emu-kangaroo-go-round (pictured in a previous post), which was pretty fantastic.  Where else but Australian can you find a koala-emu-kangaroo-go-round?  No where else, that's where!

On Tuesday, I won second place in the pub trivia!  (Also pictured proudly in a previous post.)  There were six of us and granted I answered far fewer than my fair share of the questions, but I like to think providing enthusiasm and remembering to invite people to come along goes a long way.  $50 for fun next time we go out now, huzzah!

Well, that's it's so far.  It's only Tuesday, but already I feel quite Australian.  I wonder what Wednesday will hold!

3 comments:

Mom said...

another good artsy-fartsy shot.

KIM said...

why thank you :)

Laetitia :-) said...

Ah, all is made clear when I look closely at the pic - I wondered if 'Havianas' is a new Sydney term for 'thongs' but then I found that it's a brand. And yes, I'm aware that to you 'thong' is underwear.

In NZ 'thongs' / 'flip-flops' are called 'Jandals' - short for Japanese sandal, but also a brand name.