Tuesday, January 10, 2012

quicko: salad

Tonight I was out at trivia and somehow the topic of salad came up.  I think I've already mentioned that Americans will call pretty much anything a salad if it consists of at least 3 ingredients and is jumbled together and served from a bowl.  What I may have neglected to mention is that Australians call any configuration of lettuce, etc., salad, regardless of if it is being served as a salad or not.

So, for example, my friend had traveled in America as a vegetarian and had tried to order -- I'm still a little unclear on what exactly -- something to the effect of assorted greens on bread.  Basically, she wanted the accoutrements to a burger but without an actual burger.  Not a fake veggie-burger burger, but the lettuce, onions, tomatoes, etc.  Now to her it was perfectly acceptable to order "salad" on her burger, because, as aforementioned, Australians call any configuration of lettuce, etc., salad even if it actually isn't.  She was perplexed why they couldn't get her order right, and I was as perplexed as her waitress would have been.  Salad?  On a burger?  But ... but ... but ...!!  Um, okay, sure, but did you want that with Ranch, Italian, bleu cheese, 1000 Island, low-fat Italian or balsamic vinaigrette?

No comments: