Wednesday, January 25, 2012

quicko: rice what-ies!?


I knew Australians had some knock-off Rice Krispies cereal (Rice Puffs, evidently), but I was shocked to see Snap, Crackle and Pop themselves being used on what I immediately took to be an impostor, seeing as Rice Bubbles are patently not rice Krispies.  A closer look revealed, though, that they are actually bona fide Kellogg's.  Which means, it seems, that Kellogg's just willingly decided to change their name.  It must be some marketing ploy, but I find it odd.  Surely you can't get better than Rice Krispies -- Rice Bubble treats just doesn't have the same ring to it!  (Which perhaps is why no one actually makes them here -- though the marshmallows are a bit off, too, so maybe it's just a lost cause.  Hmm.)

2 comments:

Mom said...

How can Rice Bubbles go Snap and Crackle?

Laetitia :-) said...

When I hear a variation on 'crisp' in terms of a food product I think of a wafer like product - like a potato chip / crisp. So if I hear 'Rice Krispies' I think of something like a Grain Wave chip but made of rice. Perhaps that's why they are called 'bubbles' here; and after all, they have air in them like bubbles so it makes sense.