Monday, January 2, 2012

quicko: girls

The other day I was talking with a visiting American woman who asked what the biggest differences I'd noticed between American women and Australian women were.  I was actually quite stumped.  Seeing that I know probably significantly higher proportions of both American and Australian women to men, I really ought to have a seriously good answer.

Aside from Australian girls being less reluctant to "go" in the wild, used to tampons without applicators, somewhat better on the outdoor survival skills and, depending on the girl, generally a bit less creeped out by potentially dead lizards in coffee mugs, I haven't found a sweeping sort of girly generalization to make.  A bit more liberal, a bit more accepting of guys not leaving home until they're 30, a bit more interested in tradies (i.e., workmen) perhaps?

There's also the broad categories of being exceptionally well traveled, living in the city they grew up in and not being ridiculously gung-ho about their universities, but those are general culture and apply to the guys as well.  I suppose you'd be right to say Australian girls smoke a bit more, drink a lot more and swear a lot more than American girls.  Possibly you could argue that American girls are more concerned about body image -- but also have greater reason to be.  Plenty of exceptions on all sides of that one, though.

I don't know.  Anybody else have any more insightful thoughts?

1 comment:

Sam said...

Hmmm...no, I can't think of any big differences either. Just the accent! :0) P.S. Lucky you seeing Ben Wishaw in London - I bet he was fabulous!!! Have you seen "The Wire"? That was his breakout part - he's pretty fab in that too!