Thursday, July 14, 2011

review: harry potter (HUGE SPOILER ALERTS!!)

So I promised more to come on Harry Potter.  The problem is I just don't have a ton to say.  I really liked the movie!  It was great!  I'd definitely see it again.  It was very similar to how I'd pictured it.  Fred's death was tragic, though not as tear-jerking as it could have been.  Remus and Tonks' deaths were similarly depicted.  Snape's story was heartbreaking.  Either Crabbe or Goyle was a new actor, and both seemed to have trimmed down a bit.  One changed race.  I only actually had tears running down my face just before Harry went to sacrifice himself and his parents and Sirius came to help him through.  Ginny never managed to get pretty, which was unfortunate.  She looked downright frumpy as an adult.  Ron and Hermione were great, and both have really come into their own.  I just wanted a bit more chemistry between them -- the kiss was great -- they still looked a bit awkward holding hands and at the end surely he could have at least put an arm around her?  The ghost of Ravenclaw's daughter scene was a bit longer than it needed to be, and there was a bit less explanation of some plot points (the Dumbledore family, for instance) than there could have been.  But overall it was fantastic -- action-packed; well-developed characters; a bit low on the witty banter, but I suppose that's understandable when you're trying to defend a castle against masses of evil; and by far the best movie I've ever seen at a midnight premiere.

No comments: