Thursday, July 21, 2011

quicko: lack of language, part 5

All taken from here.


41. I really hate the phrase: "Where's it at?" This is not more efficient or informative than "where is it?" It just sounds grotesque and is immensely irritating. Adam, London

Heh.  Who really cares?  I don't really know you from Adam.

42. Period instead of full stop. Stuart Oliver, Sunderland

Hehehe.  Okay, so it's a bit of a giggler.  I still prefer it; the meaning never gets obscured for us.  Context is everything!  Besides, "That's the end of the discussion.  Full stop!" just doesn't have the same ring as, "That's the end of the discussion.  Period!"

43. My pet hate is "winningest", used in the context "Michael Schumacher is the winningest driver of all time". I can feel the rage rising even using it here. Gayle, Nottingham

Haven't heard it.  I agree it's not technically correct, though I can see how you could be driven to create it.  Possible language evolution, but, like I said, I don't think it's all the prevalent.

44. My brother now uses the term "season" for a TV series. Hideous. D Henderson, Edinburgh

?  Is he referring to a "season" or a "series"?  I think it could be correct if he just means one season -- "the most recent season of House" for example -- but if he's referring to all the seasons of the series, that would be a bit odd.  Are you sure it's not just him?

45. Having an "issue" instead of a "problem". John, Leicester 

Can't you have both?  Maybe your life is just a bit less complicated.

46. I hear more and more people pronouncing the letter Z as "zee". Not happy about it! Ross, London

For goodness' sake, that's how we say it!  Besides, the alphabet song sounds really weird if you say "zed."

47. To "medal" instead of to win a medal. Sets my teeth on edge with a vengeance. Helen, Martock, Somerset


Hmm.  Is it really American only?


48. "I got it for free" is a pet hate. You got it "free" not "for free". You don't get something cheap and say you got it "for cheap" do you? Mark Jones, Plymouth

Really?  You sure on that one?  "I got it free" sounds weird.  While we're at it, shouldn't it be a "pet peeve" instead of a "pet hate"?  Alliteration, people!

49. "Turn that off already". Oh dear. Darren, Munich

It's used for emphasis!  My mom used it all the time when we were in trouble.

50. "I could care less" instead of "I couldn't care less" has to be the worst. Opposite meaning of what they're trying to say. Jonathan, Birmingham

Okay, fair point.  Personally, I usually use "couldn't care less," if that makes you feel better.

No comments: