Sunday, July 17, 2011

quicko: lack of language

So, the below piece appeared here.  It is not mine.  It is the BBC's.  From News Magazine.  However, I would like to add my comments to it.  It's a bit of a lengthy endeavor so I'll split it up over several days here.  It'll be fun!

The Magazine's recent piece on Americanisms entering the language in the UK prompted thousands of you to e-mail examples.

Some are useful, while some seem truly unnecessary, argued Matthew Engel in the article. Here are 50 of the most e-mailed.

1. When people ask for something, I often hear: "Can I get a..." It infuriates me. It's not New York. It's not the 90s. You're not in Central Perk with the rest of the Friends. Really." Steve, Rossendale, Lancashire

But!  But!  The scriptwriters use that in Friends because that's how Americans talk!  It's not wrong!

2. The next time someone tells you something is the "least worst option", tell them that their most best option is learning grammar. Mike Ayres, Bodmin, Cornwall

Hmmm.  Now at first glance I was inclined to agree, assuming that we don't do double superlatives.  But then I thought about it and I don't know that there really is any rule that says we can't.  The idea someone would be getting at is the "lesser of two/three/etc evils" -- I agree that it's clunky and not particularly endearing, but is it technically wrong?

3. The phrase I've watched seep into the language (especially with broadcasters) is "two-time" and "three-time". Have the words double, triple etc, been totally lost? Grammatically it makes no sense, and is even worse when spoken. My pulse rises every time I hear or see it. Which is not healthy as it's almost every day now. Argh! D Rochelle, Bath

This is fine!  There is no problem whatsoever with a language being used creatively and, gasp, evolving over time.  Of course double and triple are okay, too, but so are their new and improved cousins.

4. Using 24/7 rather than "24 hours, 7 days a week" or even just plain "all day, every day". Simon Ball, Worcester

Again, I beg to differ.  I'm no fan of "lol" or "brb" being used, say, professionally, but 24/7 has a nice ring to it.  It's new, it's creative and, contrary to British belief, does not sound bad.

5. The one I can't stand is "deplane", meaning to disembark an aircraft, used in the phrase "you will be able to deplane momentarily". TykeIntheHague, Den Haag, Holland


As if you couldn't be more pretentious!  I have nothing more to say.


6. To "wait on" instead of "wait for" when you're not a waiter - once read a friend's comment about being in a station waiting on a train. For him, the train had yet to arrive - I would have thought rather that it had got stuck at the station with the friend on board. T Balinski, Raglan, New Zealand

Wrong.  It's a phrasal verb, and, as every ESL teacher knows,  phrasal verbs have multiple meanings.  It's up to the discerning communicant to determine the appropriate meaning based on context clues.
7. "It is what it is". Pity us. Michael Knapp, Chicago, US

For goodness' sake, what's wrong what that?  It just sounds "too American" or something?  Suck it up, really.

8. Dare I even mention the fanny pack? Lisa, Red Deer, Canada

Okay, now there's a genuine cause for British alarm.  At least we don't tell people if we're wearing thongs, though pants don't particularly bother us.

9. "Touch base" - it makes me cringe no end. Chris, UK

One of our many flavorful baseball idioms.  What's not to like?!

10. Is "physicality" a real word? Curtis, US

Um, yes, actually.  It is.

No comments: