Monday, July 18, 2011

quicko: lack of language, part 2

Text from here.  Don't worry that the date on the article doesn't jive up.  I backdated.  I was going to say so sue me, but was afraid you might take it literally so won't.  Please don't.

11. Transportation. What's wrong with transport? Greg Porter, Hercules, CA, US

Now there's something I've actually addressed here!  Transportation is really the preferred American usage, though in Australia it seems to refer primarily to THE transportation of convicts to Australia.  Hence, they favor transport these days.  Guess I would too.

12. The word I hate to hear is "leverage". Pronounced lev-er-ig rather than lee-ver -ig. It seems to pop up in all aspects of work. And its meaning seems to have changed to "value added". Gareth Wilkins, Leicester

Did it never occur to you that "lee-ver-ig" is every bit as cringe-worthy to Americans as "lev-er-ig" is to Brits?

13. Does nobody celebrate a birthday anymore, must we all "turn" 12 or 21 or 40? Even the Duke of Edinburgh was universally described as "turning" 90 last month. When did this begin? I quite like the phrase in itself, but it seems to have obliterated all other ways of speaking about birthdays. Michael McAndrew, Swindon

Sure, you can celebrate turning 21.  Who's stopping you?

14. I caught myself saying "shopping cart" instead of shopping trolley today and was thoroughly disgusted with myself. I've never lived nor been to the US either. Graham Nicholson, Glasgow

Excellent!  A trolley is an entirely different kettle of fish.  A trolley is a small red device that operates on a railroad track, ending up daily in the Neighborhood of Make-Believe.  Either that or a large red device named Lolly that dings its bells a bit more often than entirely necessary.

15. What kind of word is "gotten"? It makes me shudder. Julie Marrs, Warrington

It is the correct past participle of "get" in American English.  If you'd ever like to teach ESL to students wanting to learn American English, this is precisely the sort of verb you ought to teach them.

16. "I'm good" for "I'm well". That'll do for a start. Mike, Bridgend, Wales

Come on, now, it's friendly!  No one's trying to impress the queen or some over-doctored academic.  We're just being nice, don't get your panties all in a twist about it!

17. "Bangs" for a fringe of the hair. Philip Hall, Nottingham

Sigh.  Simple different of terminology, pure and simple.  No cause for alarm.

18. Take-out rather than takeaway! Simon Ball, Worcester

Same as 17.  Though I do admit "takeaway" bugs me a bit too.

19. I enjoy Americanisms. I suspect even some Americans use them in a tongue-in-cheek manner? "That statement was the height of ridiculosity". Bob, Edinburgh

Ha!  I think I like that one.

20. "A half hour" instead of "half an hour". EJB, Devon

Both are correct!  What's wrong with either?

No comments: