Wednesday, July 20, 2011

quicko: lack of language, part 4


All taken from here.

31. "Hike" a price. Does that mean people who do that are hikers? No, hikers are ramblers! M Holloway, Accrington

Come on, it's creative!  And we really do use it like that.  Language evolution again, deal with it!

32. Going forward? If I do I shall collide with my keyboard. Ric Allen, Matlock 

Well, at least we aren't moving forward, eh, Australians?

33. I hate the word "deliverable". Used by management consultants for something that they will "deliver" instead of a report. Joseph Wall, Newark-on-Trent, Nottinghamshire

Hmm.  Haven't heard it tons.  Have it as your bugbear if you want, but it isn't mine.

34. The most annoying Americanism is "a million and a half" when it is clearly one and a half million! A million and a half is 1,000,000.5 where one and a half million is 1,500,000. Gordon Brown, Coventry

Gosh, and I thought I was pedantic!

35. "Reach out to" when the correct word is "ask". For example: "I will reach out to Kevin and let you know if that timing is convenient". Reach out? Is Kevin stuck in quicksand? Is he teetering on the edge of a cliff? Can't we just ask him? Nerina, London

I think I've mentioned this here before, too, as an Americanism an acquaintance had mentioned.  I can see that it could be a bit annoying.  I don't think I actually use it.

36. Surely the most irritating is: "You do the Math." Math? It's MATHS. Michael Zealey, London

NO!!!  It is MATH!  Mathematics, yes, but math, no S!  And, while we're at it, no need to capitalize a school subject that isn't a proper adjective (i.e., English or Spanish).

37. I hate the fact I now have to order a "regular Americano". What ever happened to a medium sized coffee? Marcus Edwards, Hurst Green

Relax, "regular" is the least of your worries.  Why not take on tall, grande and venti?

38. My worst horror is expiration, as in "expiration date". Whatever happened to expiry? Christina Vakomies, London


Whatever happened to it is that it never existed in the first place for us.  We just haven't got the word.



39. My favourite one was where Americans claimed their family were "Scotch-Irish". This of course it totally inaccurate, as even if it were possible, it would be "Scots" not "Scotch", which as I pointed out is a drink. James, Somerset

Ha!  Hadn't thought of that.  We do, I'll admit, use that one incorrectly.  It is how we use it, though.  Point taken.

40.I am increasingly hearing the phrase "that'll learn you" - when the English (and more correct) version was always "that'll teach you". What a ridiculous phrase! Tabitha, London

Good gracious!  That is horrific, but I must assure you it is not "American."  It is uneducated, which, rest assured, is not the same thing as being American. 

No comments: