Thursday, March 24, 2011

quicko: worldwide differences

I asked my international students to have a brainstorm (ha!  Australian linguistics!) of cultural differences they noticed here and the two biggest ones they came up with were the timing of meals and everything closing so early.  Many of them are used to eating a main meal in the afternoon and a smaller one much later in the evening.  So while they can find their own lunches reasonably well, they're a bit distressed to be fed so much so early for dinner.

As for closing times, we're all a bit taken aback to find                   (that was nothing) open after 5 pm.

1 comment:

Sam said...

I've heard that too, especially about the everything being shut so early. In regards to the early meal people - they weren't South American or Spanish by any chance? P.S. So sorry I missed yesterday's farewell, so sorry you've gone Kimmy...It's so great though that you've somewhere else to go to! ...and so close! So, yes I believe we will be not only catching up in blogland but also in real life with any luck! :0) Hope you're well and best of luck in your new school - I'm sure it'll be fine - I've heard very good things about it! XOXO's