Wednesday, March 23, 2011

quicko: supper

I think there's a good chance I've mentioned something along these lines before, but meals are sticky issues, linguistically.  Supper, for instance, is not supper.  It is a bedtime snack.  Morning tea is not morning tea.  It is a midmorning snack.  Afternoon tea is also not afternoon tea.  It is a snack.  Dinner is negotiable.  It may or may not be dinner, depending on who you're talking to.  Tea is more British, I think, but likely to constitute an entire evening meal if you're not careful.  Breakfast, brunch and lunch are generally safe bets.

I went away with my church last weekend and they fed us -- literally! -- six times a day.  I was floored.  We were served breakfast, morning tea, lunch, afternoon tea, dinner and supper.  And not only was morning tea a snack -- it was a dense chocolate brownie!  And Australians think Americans are indulgent for eating donuts for breakfast!

I quite like the idea of eating several little meals throughout the day, and keeping tea perpetually on the agenda, but the "teas" are rarely nutritional.  If you had an apple they'd be okay, but lemon cakes are a bit tricky to justify thrice daily, even for me.

Now if you'll excuse me, it's been over twenty minutes since I've eaten and I'm off to find my elevensies.

2 comments:

Laetitia :-) said...

Hahaha - oh dear, yes "tea" and "dinner" are quite tricky since "tea" can be afternoon tea or the evening meal and "dinner" could be lunch or the evening meal.

At most of the camp conferences I've been to, you might get lucky with a biscuit at supper these days. And generally they have fruit available for those of us who can't have the biscuits or cakes at morning and afternoon tea.

Keeping your blood sugar levels fairly even helps your metabolism. :-) But it can be taken a bit far. :-(

What do USA people have at morning and afternoon tea and supper - literally just tea (or coffee / hot chocolate)?

KIM said...

Well, we wouldn't think to call anything "morning tea" or "afternoon tea" -- quite possibly there would be a "coffee break" or possibly "refreshments" or a "snack." Churches often have "coffee hour" (loosely defined as 15-30 minutes ;) ) or just "coffee." I guess it depends -- it's not so defined as it is here.

And USA people? I get that "American" is a troublesome adjective ... but really, we just use it anyway! (Goes with the territory I guess.) I'd never refer to myself as a USA person. :)