Sunday, September 11, 2011

review: guylian

Michelle and I also visited the Guylian Cafe in search of sustenance.  Actually we went because she hadn't been and needed to know if it was better than Max Brenner or not.  I could have told her that it wasn't, but I'm very much of the opinion that everyone has to try chocolate shops and determine for themselves which chocolate is the best, because then you won't feel bad about supporting Max Brenner and San Churros more than, say, your Compassion sponsor child.  (Okay, you'll still feel bad, but potentially not as bad.)

Anyway, you want to be sure you've sampled them all, and then pick your favorites and stick to them, safe in the knowledge you're consistently having the greatest.  So we tried Guylian for Michelle's sake.  (I, as I have pointed out before, am a very kind and generous friend.  Look at the sacrifices I make!)

We had the exorbitantly priced hot chocolates ($7.10, and it was pretty much the cheapest thing on the menu), which thankfully did come with an adorable little chocolate seahorse (I am partial to adorable chocolate seahorses).  That was the highlight, though, unless you count that you can actually have two full cups of hot chocolate (!!) from one exorbitantly priced serving.  (The least they could do, really.)

Unfortunately, the chocolate is not nearly as good as it could be, if by "could be" you mean as good as Max Brenner's Italian thick milk hot chocolate.  It is too rich (I -- I -- even asked for a little pitcher of milk to add to mine to stret--er, tame it down).

On the plus side, they do also give you a little Guylian takeaway chocolate for when you're finished, but it just isn't enough.  Bottom line?  Overpriced nonsense that isn't up to snuff.  Might look snazzy, but not worth the cost.  Oh -- unless you're talking about the one in the Rocks, where I did have a really amazing ice cream concoction once.  Potentially their other dishes are worth going in for -- really quite likely, now that I stop to think -- but much better, girls, if you can get a guy to take you there and flash a little cash.  I daresay you'll survive.

2 comments:

sean said...

Apart from Max Brenner, where else do you recommend for a divine chocolate drink?

KIM said...

San Churros -- the Spanish hot chocolate, the hot and cold or the Azteca in particular.

The Chocolate Room (Bathurst and Sussex) is a distant third.

Others will tell you the Lindt Cafe, but I rate it similarly to Guylian. Nice and snazzy, but overpriced and not as amazing.

Do you have any recommendations?