Thursday, September 29, 2011

quicko: fair dinkum

Usually when I'm blogging I get all excited that I've come up with a brand new idea to write about, only to discuss that 1. I've already written about it two years ago or 2. it's not actually true (serves me right for trusting friends, hey?).  Today, however, I've had the first situation in reverse:  I heard an idea and almost immediately wrote it off because, well, surely I couldn't have been in Australia for over three years and not yet have blogged about "fair dinkum," right?  Wrong.  At least assuming my search function was working correctly and I haven't covered three times over.

"Fair dinkum" is a quintessential Australian phrase somewhere between "true blue" and "the real McCoy" and "all's fair in love and war."  Well, not exactly, but kind of.  It's just a fair deal, more or less.  Not in a business sense, more in a "life isn't fair" sense.  Which makes no sense.

Or does it?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Huh? You're over thinking it again. "Fair Dinkum" just means "true," or "no kidding".

KIM said...

Oh yeah. Right. True.