Sunday, September 18, 2011

review: baby with the bathwater

Tonight I saw my first Sydney fringe piece, and, yep.  It was fringey.

Baby with the Bathwater was billed something along the lines of a dark comedy, and I suppose that's reasonably accurate.  It was also just a bit bizarre.

There were five actors -- the mother, the father, the nanny, an unnamed woman and the baby -- and Daisy, the baby's, life was followed from start -- her parents were horrified, wanted a divorce and didn't know what to do -- till Daisy grew up and had a baby of his own.

I started to type that the parents were clearly wacko -- they were -- but actually everyone was really clearly wacko.  Daisy perhaps most understandably so, having grown up with psycho parents who assumed he was a girl for the first fifteen years of his life.

All the characters were just really quite far out there, though I did appreciate the American-ness of the script and the frequent references to classic works of literature (okay, Macbeth was the only one I was utterly sure about -- tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow being a bit of a giveaway).  My favorite line was something to the effect of, "Well, you are an English major, aren't you?"

Overall it fit the bill of fringe.  Really what more can I say?

No comments: