Wednesday, October 20, 2010

quicko: where's waldo? OR spot the budgie smuggler




 Ha!  You can't do it!  That's the thing -- on American beaches (pictured above) there are no men in Speedos!  I've been meaning to save up a bunch of beach ideas and blog about them in one fell swoop, but this one just can't wait any longer:  American men wear beach attire that stretches to the knees, or possibly slightly above.  Anything less is looked on something shocking, but today (in Australia) -- anything goes!  It's a wonder the women haven't all gone blind!

I can understand slightly in the instance of, say, Olympic swimmers that men may choose something skimpy, but as for the rest ... knee-length is suitable.

I remember expressing a similar sentiment at a seminary in England only to have a concerned seminarian turn to me and respond, "Oh, I'm sorry; does that cause you to stumble?" At which point I doubled over and tried desperately to explain that, no, no, really, it was quite the reverse.

And I will also quite freely admit that there are many women who should never be seen in a bikini, or two piece, or whatever other ensemble they've concocted.  But yes, I have a double standard and I'm quite happy with it:  no man should be seen sporting a Speedo in public.

2 comments:

Holly said...

haha, you crack me up! I was expecting to scroll down and see some pics to prove your point. Be careful those beach budgie smugglers don't make you stumble. :)

Laetitia :-) said...

Look up photos of Australian surf lifesavers - now there are some men who look just fine in Speedos. On the basis that they have to reach someone quickly so being slowed down by heavy shorts is not a good idea, I expect that they'd rank in the same realm as Olympic swimmers for you. :-)

Personally, if the man is fit then Speedos are fine.