Wednesday, February 11, 2009

quicko: dragon fruit

I was walking casually through the grocery store the other day (how else does one walk through a grocery store? formally?) when what should I meet but the coolest, pinkest fruit I had ever seen -- and not just one! A whole basket of them!! Of course I immediately stopped to take a picture.



Imagine then my surprise when two days later what appears on my desk at work, but another specimen of the exact same fuschia fruit! My friend Steve had very generously bought me one and (having seen my ineptitude with mangoes) took it upon himself to teach me how to eat it.


First he cut it in half, and then he gave me a spoon. It was lovely! It's a surprisingly mellow speckled flesh considering its outside flair. It tastes possibly in the neighborhood of a canned pear, but with a texture a bit softer but comparable to a kiwi.



And, finally, what, prey tell is this amazing entity? It is -- what else? -- a dragon fruit!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pray, do tell us about your ineptitude with mangoes. I thought you had them down pat. (I'll bet there's a story to go along with it.)