Monday, April 23, 2012

quicko: sports cities

Apparently it goes as follows:

Melbourne is crazy about AFL (Australian rules football, called football, or "the footy").

Sydney is crazy about rugby league (called football, or "the footy").

The whole country is crazy about rugby union (called rugby ... and possibly also football??).

Cricket is also a whole country sport, though the crowd I've been hanging with just isn't so crazy about it and has led me to believe no one else is either.  I have a suspicion they might be slightly biased though.

1 comment:

Erin said...

Extremely biased - cricket is great. Larger centres close to another state often follow more than one code. I grew up in Wagga and my brother played Rugby League and AFL, and I think even Union - all called football or footy. He also played cricket. He took up soccer (more frequently being called Football, as that's what it's known as most of the the way around the world) only once we moved to the coast.