Tuesday, October 4, 2011

quicko: muesli

Muesli is the standard breakfast fare among Australians in the way that Shredded Wheat is for Americans.  I tolerate both.  Neither is my favorite, but both are far superior to any non-cereal option -- or even an atrociously sugary option.  (Cinnamon Toast Crunch, just for the record, is not atrociously sugary.  It is perfect.)

My problem with Muesli is that it's too heavy and absorbs too much milk too fast and you always think you need more than you actually do.

Cracklin' Oat Bran.  Now there's a cereal I miss.  But I digress.

Musesli is fine.  It's nice, it's normal, it does.  It's nothing spectacular (goodness knows Shredded Wheat isn't either -- though it is very comforting in hot milk), but it's standard.  I wouldn't go out of my way to get it, but I wouldn't go out of my way to avoid it either.

One more thing.  I just have to make a list of basic cereals:  Cheerios, Special K, Cornflakes, Raisin Bran.  There.  I think those are the basics.  (Special K, obviously, is the best.)  Oh, and Muesli is pretty similar to Granola, but not nearly as good.  I think it's the uncookedness of the oats that bothers me.  Yes!  That's it!  I just feel slightly like livestock eating it, but no worries.  She'll be right.

Sorry, remembered something else:  Plus.  That's what I eat here.  It's perfect, too.  Just not nearly as sugary, so I add my own.  Voila!

2 comments:

Laetitia :-) said...

You can get toasted mueslis. I normally get Arnold's Farm (readily available from Woolies and possibly Coles) if I want a toasted one. But if you want one with cinnamon, try Carman's (also readily available in Woolies or Coles). Both brands have a few different varieties (plain, fruit, nut, different type of fruit etc). If I want untoasted I go for Lowan Whole Foods (Apricot).


For a 'cereal' I go for Just Right - not sure if there's an equivalent in the USA but it is a Kellogg's product.

Mom said...

I would add the Snap, Crackle, and Pop of Rice Krispies to a list of basic American cereals. Maybe a crunch of Kix or Corn Chex, too.