Monday, October 17, 2011

quicko: let's talk about words

I've mentioned before that Australians swear like crazy.  And Americans are a tad more sensitive about some words than Australians.  One word in particular particular.  It's the racial slur that pretty much any remotely educated American I've ever met utterly refuses to say above a whisper even when discussing how very much you do Not Discuss It.  It is simply known that you do Not Even Think About Saying It, and no one does, especially Americans of a European background.  Australians, on the other hand, have no qualms about it and, while they don't usually use it (it's not especially part of their vocabulary), they have no idea that it's Not To Be Said.  When mentioned as "the (furtive glance followed by raspy whisper) n-word," Australians look extremely puzzled, as they were unaware there was a bad word they hadn't heard of.  Eventually (usually about 5 seconds later) it dawns on them that, oh!, maybe that's what the American's talking about but why in the world is it so bad to say n---!! (at which point the American jumps up and down shrieking that that Cannot Be Said!).  The Australian generally then gets even more confused and wants to know why it's so bad, because, they'll argue defensively, it really isn't that bad.  It tends to turn into a rather circular conversation with the American eventually conceding that it's probably the history in America that makes it more offensive to us than them -- but it's still Really Bad -- and the Australian tentatively agreeing never to use it, at least when they're visiting America and can be bothered to remember not to.

I don't know how else to convince Australians that it really, really Cannot Be Said, but I've asked around and most of my friends tend to agree that, for Americans, it is right up there with the c-word (higher?  equal?) as something you just Do Not Say.  Please believe, Australians.  Please!

Now, in light of the above:  this is an excellent song on precisely this topic.  It's a little crude in places, but overall I don't find it offensive.  I highly recommend it.  And Americans:  "ginger" is the Australian way of saying "redhead."  "Ranger" is another synonym (shortened form of "orangutan," and not exactly a compliment).  Listen carefully, and I think you'll be impressed:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVN_0qvuhhw&feature=relmfu

5 comments:

Laetitia :-) said...

I understand that the 6-letter word is pejorative; is it allowed to use the 5-letter version or only if one is speaking Spanish and saying 'black'?

Ben McLaughlin said...

If it's the n word I'm thinking of, then I don't know what kind of Aussies you are mixing with, but I've never known it to be acceptable..

KIM said...

Let's put it like this ... when I was in an interactive historical theatre production set in the 1840s and playing a racist white woman I was allowed to use the 5-letter variant as part of my character, but not the 6.

Generally it's not really part of our vocabularly -- no one tends to think of using it, but I certainly wouldn't try.

Ben, I'm glad to hear you have much more decent friends than I do!!

Laetitia :-) said...

How interesting that although you were playing someone who would have used the word, you as the actor were not permitted to. Maybe it's a case of "if we don't use it, it will fall out of use and out of mind".

I'm with Ben - it's known to be unacceptable here. But we also don't have a particular history of using it anyway.

Racist people referring to Aboriginal people would call them "Abo" or "Black" but it all depends for us on the tone of voice, not so much the word itself. For instance, Aboriginal people will themselves use the term "Abo" (but it's a bit like Tim Minchin's song - only someone who is should use the term).

Sam said...

Really? Who on earth says that terrible word? They need re-educating! I think it is unacceptable and I'm sure most civilised Aussies think so too - you need new friends!!!!