Tuesday, October 25, 2011

quicko: bali

Bali is, apparently, the done thing in Australia.  That is, everyone goes to Bali.  It's the obligatory holiday destination (oh, the suffering!) that Australians frequent in roughly, I imagine, the way reasonably well-off American families frequent the Caribbean.

Opinions vary -- it's a torturous tourist trap filled with drunk Aussies to an idyllic honeymooners' seaside paradise -- but, I am thrilled to report, you will soon be able to get the definitive answer on the subject as I will be going there next year.  Not only is this tremendously exciting in the I'M-GOING-TO-BALI!!! sense, but also in the now-I'll-be-able-to-say-I've-been-to-Asia!!! sense and also in the practically-an-Australian-local now, as I'll have paid these long overdue holiday dues.

One more thing -- evidently the way you show off your escapade to Bali to two-fold:  a good tan (don't hold your breath for a tan, let alone a good one -- though I am going in the Australian winter, so perhaps I can make my friends slightly jealous) and intricately braided hair.  The hair thing I'm holding out for.  I'll have just finished being a bridesmaid, so have no particular beauty constraints to guide me.  I think I'm up for it, even if it does peg me as a tourist.  It's about time!

No comments: