Friday, June 3, 2011

quicko: shopping

I'm not positive whether this is an Australian thing or a I've-been-teaching-ESL-too-long thing, but it seems to me here that the use of "shopping" is lots more liberal here.  To me, shopping has to be an arguably fun endeavor -- looking for new clothes, shoes, accessories, perfume, etc.  However, here it is just the monotonous day-to-day "gosh-I-need-to-pick-up-some-teabags" type of behavior.  Searching for Scotch tape, cellophane or socks could be shopping here, whereas I reserve it for the likes of shorts, skirts and swimwear.

1 comment:

Laetitia :-) said...

One distinguishes it by tone of voice - if said in a cheery, happy manner then it is a keenly anticipated, fun activity (clothes shopping is never this for me but books get me); if a neutral tone then it is likely to be groceries.