Wednesday, June 22, 2011

quicko: minimum wage

As of July 1, 2011, the Australian (from what I can tell it's a national, not state-by-state thing, but I could be wrong ...) minimum wage is going to be (American teenagers, please stop reading now before you kill yourselves):  $15.51.

FIFTEEN-FIFTY-ONE!!!

When I was doing minimum hour jobs in Ohio in the mid 2000s, it was $5.15/hr.  I think now it might be $5.45.  Although of course when I was a waitress, it was $2.13/hr (not including tips, but still).

Sigh.

2 comments:

Laetitia :-) said...

Do we rub in the salt by reminding people that with the Aus $ above parity with the US $ it's even higher in US $ terms?

Of course, I believe that that's the adult wage, not juniors which increases each year until the worker turns 21 at which point they're considered an adult worker (despite the fact that in almost every other way they're classed as an adult at 18).

Mom said...

Actually, it is up to $7.40 per hour for employees who don't receive tips; $3.70 for those who do; still a far cry from Australian wages.