Tuesday, April 12, 2011

on with the show, the world has been saved

The other day I stopped in to one of the snazzier make up stores in Sydney to pick up the one and only product I buy there -- eye shadow.  It happened to be the end of a rather long day and, seeing as I'd run out of eye shadow, my cheap (splurge on one, no cash left for the other) eyeliner had run haywire and taken on the role of both eyeliner and eye shadow in a way that was more "disheveled gothic" than "smoky."

I approached the only employee, a guy who was very young and very gay.  "Um," I said.  "I'd like some eye shadow."

I don't exactly remember what happened next, but I ended up standing in front of the product I wanted, being shown a different one that clearly was better while incorrectly answering a short series of questions about my questionable make up habits.  I could only answer them with questions -- "uh, do you have to wear a primer too?" -- that entrenched me even deeper.

After a few minutes my helper gallantly allowed me to conduct my ill-thought-out purchase, but suddenly, as he recorded more personal details than my bank tends to ask for, he had a flash of brilliance.  A makeover!

I could see the light as soon as it entered his eyes.  From the moment he'd met me, he'd been absolutely dying to whip out his fashion police badge and, if not outright arrest me, at least send me to a correctional spa for a few days.  He saw his chance, and there was no stopping him.

"Sweetie," he said, "this is what I'm going to do for you.  I'm going to give you this voucher for a free make over.  It's a great way to learn tips if you don't know a lot about make up, and it's valued at $95.  It expires at the end of this month [Read:  Get yourself together.  Now.], and I'm going to give it to you today for free.  Just call and make a booking.  Come in any time, okay, sweetie?"

Dear goodness.  Shamefacedly I took my new souvenir, half wondering if he gave them to everyone, half wondering how bad you had to look to actually get one.  Sales made me think the former, but his eyes confirmed that latter.  Triumph, there was no mistake.  This unfortunate waif would no longer inflict herself on society, the greater good, etc, at large.

The world had had a narrow miss, but thankfully had been saved.

4 comments:

Rachel Aubrey said...

Oh honey! What a story. I'm so impressed! You got a free makeover out of your little adventure. At the end I'm not sure whether to cry or laugh. Perhaps both?

KIM said...

lol I think laugh. Crying tends to smear the mascara!

Unknown said...

So did you take the offer? Pics or it didn't happen.

KIM said...

I did actually go for it ... amazingly for once in my life I completely forgot to get a photo. The only I have is hours later and you'd never even know. If you'll believe me I can claim many immediate compliments, though. Roughly along the lines of "why you today so beautiful?" (gotta love students ...!)