Thursday, July 1, 2010

quicko: icy

Today was a chilly day. I wore my fall/spring jacket, could have done with something a little warmer and felt fine in sandals, except for the fact that everyone kept asking (as they have for the last month or two) why my toes weren't cold. I don't know why, but they weren't. So sue me.

But that's not the point. The point is that, while it was clearly the sort of day normal people would find fit to turn on central heating in, it's the sort of day that Australians refer to as -- get this -- "icy."

I was floored. It wasn't hot, true, but it wasn't even outright cold, let alone icy. There wasn't, for instance, any ice anywhere to be seen. And really, I find a presence of ice to be the definition of the word "icy." Not the Sydneysiders, though. Oh no. Let the temperature hit the 40s and suddenly we've all become popsickles frozen solid in our igloos, goodnight!

No comments: