Friday, February 25, 2011

quicko: parent-teacher conferences

I've been continually learning that, much as I want to, I can't just take one person's experiences for this blog and make them universally applicable to the country at large (universal country that it is).  Not that this stops me, but it does tend to result in getting later lambasted in the comments when it turns out I've talked to the one weirdo in the country.  Evidently I've recently had such an experience.

My co-worker was explaining at length about his parent-teacher conferences, if by at length you mean saying nothing about what was said but everything about how hot his English teacher was (runs in the profession, of course).  When he finally got to the end (gorgeous toes!) I asked why he'd been at the parent-teacher conference.  He said the kids always went along.

Which I repeated the next morning with shock and horror to an another Australian -- "so I hear you guys all go to your parent-teacher conferences, how odd is that!" -- only to have her explain that not everyone did that, and, while it might have been possible, it wasn't particularly encouraged.

And so, with one fell swoop, she destroyed my shock blog tabloid and made it ... well, what it is.  Sorry it wasn't more dramatic, but I guess all Australians aren't strange.

Just the one I sit next to each day.

3 comments:

Matt Long said...

hmmm... I think you throw around the word 'strange' far too liberally in these blogs Kim. I think you need to go back to your dictionary - (or mine. A real one. One that doesn't spell connection with an x or organisation with a z) - and really go over the meaning of this word. Me strange? I won't hear of it.

Laetitia :-) said...

Mind you, if you're a new teacher somewhere, particularly a private school, you can find that EVERY parent wants to meet with you at the first parent-teacher night. After that it drops off. At least, that's my husband's experience. :-)

KIM said...

I am obliged to clarify. My co-worker is not so much strange as a very delicate flower where his online feelings are concerned. There, there.