Thursday, February 24, 2011

quicko: outrageous prices

I just have to announce this:  I went to Coles tonight.  To purchase essentials.  Like light bulbs.  And cranberry sauce.  And toiletries.  Really essential toiletries.  And the light bulbs, incidentally, were pretty essential too.  I mean, the light bulb in my bathroom burned out just after the new year and I've been showering in darkness ever since.  So I suppose you could argue the light bulbs weren't really essential, but I like to think I'm entitled to purchase one or two without feeling guilty.

Anyway, the trip cost me seventy-one dollars.  Seventy-one dollars!  That is insane!  It didn't use to bug me quite as much when the Australian dollar wasn't so high, but these days that's the same as seventy-one American dollars, roughly.  And that is just crazy!  I have no money left!  And all because I wanted to be able to wash my hair.

2 comments:

Laetitia :-) said...

The light bulbs were the expensive long-life ones rather than the old incandescent ones, yes? If you have a Sam's Warehouse / Crazy Clarks type store or possibly even a Bunnings nearby you might be able to get them cheaper.

Sam said...

Gosh yes that is expensive! I've noticed life is more expensive recently - I think everyone has been secretly putting up their prices. For example, I went to the art store the other day to buy drawing paper and it was $44.00! I came home and looked at the last pad I'd bought and it was only $34.00! That's quite a hike! :0(