Tuesday, March 16, 2010

quicko: health insurance

Does not come with your job, but rather your citizenship. Lovely idea for Australians; tricky for Americans masquerading as Australians.


Lizzie said...

So what do you do for health insurance?

--signed, an American who is going to be moving to Australia soon.

KIM said...

go broke ... ;) no, but i do have two -- one in america and one in australia. neither is nearly as good as what i had before, but i can afford it and be covered in a major emergency. (the american one has a $2000 deductible, but covers anything over that; the australian one covers some percentage of costs of things here.) let me know if you have any other questions about life in australia!

Regina said...

Doesn't Australia know that Universal coverage is UNAMERICAN! They should be ashamed of themselves! Tell me, are doctors forced to live in boxes on the streets while lazy people get to live in the hospital?

Laetitia :-) said...

Regina - Hahahaha - I take it that that was sarcasm and you didn't oppose universal coverage.

Lizzie - you can take out private health insurance, of which there are two types - 'hospital' (as the name implies, covers you for hospital stays) and 'extras' (non-hospital items like dental and optical costs). Most people take out a package deal that includes both types.

If you don't have private hospital cover and earn more than a certain amount then you pay more income tax.

If you do have it, the federal government pays 30% of the premium. That being said, since that encouraged more people to take up insurance and the companies consequently pay out more and the costs of medical procedures have risen, the costs of premiums have risen dramatically. We pay at least double after the 30% rebate as we did without the rebate 10 years ago. I'd have to check inflation figures to be sure though.