Friday, May 8, 2009

quicko: lack of legend

This is an interesting one. It's relatively true about America, too, but it struck me that compared to, say, Ireland, there is a complete lack of legend in Australia. (I suppose you could compare nearly anywhere to Ireland and come out feeling breathtakingly banal in terms of tales, but hey. It's a cool country and I've been there and I think the comparison's interesting. Hopefully you do, too ...) You just don't feel ghosts and goblins creeping around corners as you approach, or lurking behind you in dark streets. Not that you'd want to, but here it seems utterly impossible.

I think it's just a lack of history thing (excepting the Aborginals, of course), but I guess I like countries that have a bit more folklore than Waltzing Matilda to go on. Again, not that I have anything against Waltzing Matilda, it just doesn't speak volumes of story-saturated scenery to me. Bring on the sunburnt leprechauns!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Geez Kim, I turn my back for a week or so and strike me pink if I don't have my work cut out for me straightening out your blog for you.

Firstly, in terms of European settlement, Australia is only a little over two centuries old. Leprechauns, dragons, King Arthur and other such phantasmagoria are all founded on stories that go back much further than that. We’re not doing too bad for our age, if you take into account Matilda waltzing swagmen, ANZAC warriors, the teleporting baglady of Mitchell Street, the Penrith panther and The picnic at Hanging Rock.

Secondly, dismissing the 40 00 years of Aboriginal heritage with one sentence doesn’t really do them any justice. Go look up the Rainbow Serpent, the Bunyip, the seven sisters, Tidilik, and any of hundreds of others. Or just go stand at Uluru at sunset and then tell me there’s no spirit in the country.

Sorry to post a comment longer than the original post, but this is a pet hate of mine. Just because we haven’t built any castles doesn’t mean we haven’t got mysticism just as deep as Stonehenge. You just have to lose your anglo-centric cultural model and go find it.

Here endeth the lecture.

- Garry

KIM said...

Points taken. Perhaps I was o'er-hasty in my assessment. I do still stand by my "Ireland has a ghostier feel" sentiment, but I see what you're saying. Thanks, and do send a picture of being struck pink, I'd love to see it ;)